WARNING! Malware attacks on this site!

Guest Beaver89

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not seen anything particularly suspicious going on other than Firefox advising a couple of times that a plugin needed installing to play/display some content. I didn't take that much notice as I often get them because I do not have any plugin installed unless I know that it's at least 100% essential ... so needless to say I just ignored the advice and didn't even think of hitting that install button !!!

I've no idea what if anything is going on but ...

DO NOT "INSTALL" ANYTHING

... requested when visiting here (or anywhere else for that matter) just now in case there is something seriously dubious going on and it needs a convenient backdoor via some plugin or other in order to do any damage - i.e. much like the Adobe thing that did the rounds a while ago.

PS: Now might be a *very* good time to make sure that your A/V is up-to-date as well ;)

PPS: If you're innocent enough (or perhaps I should say gullible and/or 'stupid' enough) to have some option set to automatically install or update plugins whenever required (if there is such an option in your browser) then I would suggest that now is also a *VERY* good time to disable it completely and never set it back to automatically install stuff behind your back ever again !

Edited by mikeb

Just a thought but can someone please post EXACTLY what's happening and EXACTLY what the warning actually is/was as well as detailing what OS, browser and A/V etc. was being used at the time ?

It's all well and good just saying that there's something odd or potentially malicious going on but that's not really a lot of help to anyone (i.e. Neil) trying to investigate a reported problem is it - esp if it's only happening occasionally rather than all the time. I'm sure some more info would be helpful in determining whether there is a real problem or a potentially dodgy Ad is being served or if it's just a bit of a false alarm or whatever.

Hmmmmmm ... just had that "additional plugins are needed - install missing plugins now" message again in Firefox. Absolutely no chance :lol: Could well be completely innocent but do be careful and all that as I can't honestly think of anything that should be needed on my system that I haven't already got installed :unsure:

Edited by mikeb

I'm new here, been reading a while though. Twice today I've had a malware programme called 'System Tool' installed on my computer without clicking on anything, even the McAfee anti-virus missed it. I did a system restore and got rid of it once, logged onto efests and it installed again... may or may not be related to the warnings!

Guys please check your system stuff. My Mac does everything for me (as it should do) but with people running Windows you need to check it out!!! This is very rare to happen to such a popular & secure site, including a forum. Please check your PC's! Mac's sort this kind of thing out for you ASAP but PC's won't (apparently). It'll be a right shitter if you've not got a Glasto ticket + f**ked computer! I can't help as I know f-all about PC's but mods should be on this already! Please check up (via google) on any erratic messages you receive as I'm sure there will be a forum on it. Sorry for being vague but as my Mac has said a big F-off to a couple of things since being on this site it is definitely worth checking out!

Guys please check your system stuff. My Mac does everything for me (as it should do) but with people running Windows you need to check it out!!! This is very rare to happen to such a popular & secure site, including a forum. Please check your PC's! Mac's sort this kind of thing out for you ASAP but PC's won't (apparently). It'll be a right shitter if you've not got a Glasto ticket + f**ked computer! I can't help as I know f-all about PC's but mods should be on this already! Please check up (via google) on any erratic messages you receive as I'm sure there will be a forum on it. Sorry for being vague but as my Mac has said a big F-off to a couple of things since being on this site it is definitely worth checking out!

Edited by Dukeicon

If there is a trojan or whatever trying to install System Tool then if successful it will ultimately result in A/V ransomware - i.e. installing a fake A/V program that claims you have lots of virus/malware on your system, won't let you do much if anything, disables any genuine A/V and demands do$h for a registered version to allegedly remove the problems. Needless to say it's not an A/V program, hasn't found any virus/malware and is just a right old PITA demanding money with menaces !

It does also seem that you could possibly get infected by downloading software (or presumably plugins) allegedly needed to display innocent looking multimedia content. Considering the apparently intermittent nature of reported warnings various this would suggest that there might well be a dodgy Ad that is occasionally being served up by one of the Ad Houses used by eFests.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL ANYTHING

It does seem kinda like what happened some time ago with a dodgy Ad that took full advantage of the Acrobat Reader exploit. If you have somehow picked up something a tad nasty and it looks like you now have an A/V program that is warning of problems various but it obviously ISN'T your usual A/V program then there is more info along with removal instructions on the link above that may be of help to you.

Edited by mikeb

I love my Mac!

Edited by jamiejc